I just found out that two of my brothers are expecting, and only two weeks apart! I’m absolutely thrilled to hear this news, especially for my second brother who is expecting his first.
Baby shopping can be fun but definitely also a little overwhelming, especially for first time parents. I myself have recently been through through the whole baby shopping thing for my three month old, and I thought building a list of things that I have found useful, may be a helpful starting point for my brother and my sister-in-law and potentially any other first time parents out there!
Some of these items are a must and others are just nice to have.
- Clothes – newborn ones with the covers for the hands are convenient
- Baby blankets
- Swaddling blankets
- Wash cloths
- Burping cloths
- Bath tub
- Diaper/nappy bin
- Nursing pump – if planning on using a bottle
- Nursing cover – if planning on nursing
- Baby bag/diaper bag
- Car seat – Note: In a lot of countries, including the US and England, they will not let you leave the hospital with the baby without a car seat!
- Cot mattress
- Baby monitor
Useful, Non-essential Items
Here are some items that I found made life me much easier, but are not things you absolutely need:
- Nursing pillow – found this very useful for my first child but hardly used this for my third!
- Dummy – if you are going to use
- Baby carrier
- Changing table
I will be posting specific brands of items that I liked and used soon.